nathan exposed: the naked truth about life in the words of a gay nashville man. music, movies, tv, queer culture, politics, emotion, humor, drama, and more

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Turn on your headlights



You never know when stating the obvious will have an impact. So maybe this entry will stick with someone...

Here in Nashville, we didn't catch nearly as much aftermath of Katrina as expected. We did have some heavy rains and winds, and it was hard to see sometimes on my drive to work. But it's like that anytime we have rain here. Water sprays up from cars and creates that mist that's hard to see through.

Even with it being rainy and dark, idiots were still driving around without their damn lights on. That was so frustrating because sometimes I couldn't see the car until I was right up on it. Then I had to slam on my brakes. And other people were driving way past 70mph, even though the roads were slick.

I know what it's like to be in a hurry. Very stressful. But there is never an excuse to be wreckless. We have wrecks all the time here in Nashville. I've even seen national reports that show Nashville has some of the worst roads in the U.S., plus bad drivers, a lot of construction, and a lot of wrecks.

With all that considered, it's not asking too much to just say "Hey, turn on your headlights. It isn't very hard, you just flick a switch." And try not to speed, because it is harder to brake when the roads are wet.

In addition, no matter what the weather is, ALWAYS use your turn signal. I do not have psychic powers, I do not know you're going to haul your Big Soccer Mom SUV into my lane unless you use your signal and tell me. If you don't use your signal, I'm going to use mine --- my middle finger and my carhorn.

It isn't worth it to risk people's lives just because you're a dumbass behind the wheel. If everyone followed these very basic steps, I don't think I would see so many wrecks on my way to and from work.

On a side note, my thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by Katrina. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Posted by Nathan @ 9:49 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment