nathan exposed: the naked truth about life in the words of a gay nashville man. music, movies, tv, queer culture, politics, emotion, humor, drama, and more

Monday, August 22, 2005

A tribute to Raleigh


Raleigh, NC
Leaving behind Raleigh, NC has been a difficult thing for my partner Rodney. I think he likes it here in Nashville, but he still has a lot of sad spells about Raleigh. We made a lot of memories there, and left behind some great friends.

I do love Raleigh, it's a good city. The choice to move to Nashville was primarily because our family is 3 hours away. And I'm pretty sure Rodney thinks I'm insensitive for just packing up and moving without really stopping to reflect on our lives in Raleigh. Moving is stressful and busy. It's easy to get wrapped up in things and not appreciate the last few days in your home. I'm guilty of that.

But this morning I was thinking about Raleigh, and realized I never really became close to anybody. Most of our friends were friends of Rodney's. I have a few Raleigh friends of my own that I keep in touch with, but it's always very casual. I have a bad habit of not letting anybody know the real me. As a result, I don't get very close to people.

So if I were extremely close to friends in Raleigh, I'm sure I would be in a lot of pain right now. As for the city itself, I do miss it, but it's a city. I feel like it will always be there, we can always go back to visit.

Since I didn't say it sooner, I'm saying it now -- Farewell Raleigh. You're a great southern city, with a lot of charm, and endless potential. I loved your seasons, I loved your people, and I loved your style. I look forward to meeting you again.

And as for getting close to people, maybe I'll make some great friends here in Nashville. Maybe I'll open up more, and let them see who's inside.

Posted by Nathan @ 7:13 AM

3 Comments:

Nathen is such a sexy name.

Commented by Blogger Wannabeleader, 8:23 AM  
Thanks Steven. It's even sexier when it's spelled correctly :)

Commented by Blogger Nathan, 8:50 AM  
geez, are all Rodney's from North Carolina?!? I'm starting to think so.

Commented by Blogger Mr Man, 7:09 PM  

Add a comment